Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
Well I had expected to be writing this rather sooner than two years after I wrote this – https://stuart1968.wordpress.com/2014/07/13/a-home-for-my-railway/? – but it’s getting there.
So this is the current state of play in the garage. Despite my assertation that something would circumnavigate it by Christmas last year it’s still not finished and the only things circumnavigating it are spiders. Big spiders. Insectol kills them far more effectively than carpet glue but at the time it was the only can near enough with sufficient reach and lethality. Halfords Peugot antelope beige doesn’t kill them but it does make them easier to spot.
Yes, quite. All the junk is still there, work sessions alternate between clearing a space to do a job, and doing the job. Then a space is cleared for the next job. All the walls are now insulated and most of the vapour barrier is in place. On top of this a 2″ x 1″ batten has been screwed to the upright battens (themselves bolted to the concrete walls) to take the rafters. These are 3×1 treated softwood with 1″ slab insulation above.
My carpentry isn’t great, so these were secured to the battens with 40mm brackets, the ends of the rafters being notched over them. The idea was that the 5p bracket was just securing it, not taking the weight, but it hasn’t quite worked out like that. I was going to reinforce the joints with more brackets inside the corners on both sides but in the meantime another problem manifested itself.
The cement board roof is supported on two transverse steel trusses, about 4″ deep. The battens were fixed below these lowering the effective headroom by two inches. Unfortunately the floor boarding and slab insulation below had raised the floor nearly three inches. This wasn’t a problem at the high end (the roof slopes front to back) and the very low bit at the back would have a 2 foot wide base board below it, but I wasn’t expecting to bang my head less than halfway down. I’ve got to add some sort of lighting yet as well.
Of course all the rafters were in place by now, as was most of the slab insulation. But it has been raised by simply shoving the rafters up out of the way one at a time, turning the bracket upside down and refitting it. There isn’t much space between the insulation and the roof but air can still circulate via the corrugations so we’ll see. There, that looks perfectly robust doesn’t it ?
No, I didn’t think so either so the ends have been reinforced with leftover 2×1 and extended over the batten. This is actually stronger than it was before (there are more screws than the one visible) and I should have done it this way in the first place.
The slab insulation serves too purposes. Firstly, if the roof leaks it will hopefully stop the rafters getting wet although where the water will eventualy show up is a good question. Secondly it covers up all the spider hidey-holes so I can work without fear of them dropping down my neck.
Of course, the first person I showed looked at it and suggested that as the ceiling is not required to actually do anything except support it’s own weight, I should have just cut some 8×4 sheets of 4″ Cellotex to fit between the steel trusses and filled all the gaps in with squirty foam. Grrr.